Hats Off to Elon College’s First Homecoming King

Julia Mueller
November 6, 2013

King and Queen David Bynes and Holly Good, show their excitement of capturing their titles.

King and Queen David Bynes and Holly Good, show their excitement of capturing their titles.

In 1993, the first Homecoming King at Elon College was crowned.  David Bynes (Class of 1997), a Communications major, represented the Black Cultural Society.  Holly Good of Alpha Omicron Pi was crowned Homecoming Queen.  The nominees represented twenty organizations, and the theme of Homecoming was “Hats Off to Hollywood.”  Each nominee wrote a personal statement and was interviewed by a Student Government Association Homecoming committee.  This constituted 40% of the score.  Popular vote accounted for the remaining 60%. Continue reading

Advertisements

The story of the Martin Alumni Center (MAC)

Katie Nash
August 27, 2013

Ever wonder about the history of the white house on the corner of Haggard Avenue and O’Kelly Avenue on Elon’s campus? It’s one of the few older houses still standing on Elon’s campus, and to trace its history we have to travel back in time to 1965. Records show that in October 1965, a gift agreement was set-up between Algier Lloyd Rich, his wife Minnie Allene Patton Rich (Class of 1911), and Elon College in which the Rich family gave their home and land (which included a barn!) to the College, while still able to live in their home and maintain lifetime rights. The house was built between 1938-1940 and upon the death of Mr. Rich in 1986 and Mrs. Rich in 1987 the house became officially part of the Elon College campus. Continue reading

Isabella Cannon’s Bust: Stolen then Found

Julia Mueller
April 12, 2013

Isabella Cannon in 1978Isabella Walton Cannon was a beloved Elon alumnus, Class of 1924, who served as a role model to many.  She became involved in public service and worked around the world.  In 1977, Cannon made the last minute decision to run for mayor of Raleigh, North Carolina against the incumbent Jyles J. Coggins, and won with 52% of the vote.  This caused Cannon to become an immediate national celebrity as she was the first female mayor of Raleigh.  Cannon continued to serve the community after her term and founded the Isabella Cannon Leadership Program at Elon in 1989.  The same year, on Thursday, October 19, the Isabella Cannon bust was stolen from its wooden pedestal in the Isabella Cannon room in the Center for the Arts building. Continue reading

The Kivette Sisters

Julia Mueller
November 15, 2012

Kivette Sisters in the 1990s, Gibsonville

Camille Kivette and Florence Olga Kivette Childress, better known as the Kivette sisters, were notorious for their immense loyalty to Elon and for their grand parties.  Daughters of P.L. and Annie Kivette and natives of Gibsonville, North Carolina, the Kivette sisters remained an integral part of Elon’s spirit for more than five decades.  Continue reading

The Emanons – Fifty Years and Counting

Julia Mueller
October 5, 2012

The Emanons in the 1970s.

During Homecoming this year, the Emanons will celebrate their 50th reunion.  In 1962, Dr. Jack O. White organized a jazz band at Elon College.  The first members named themselves the Emanons, spelling “No Name” backwards and they played a wide variety of music.  From the beginning, the Emanons were an extremely talented group of musicians.  Their first annual concert occurred on March 15, 1962 and in 1964, they performed at the New York World Fair.  In 1970, Dr. David Bragg joined Dr. White as assistant director, just as the Emanons began their global debut.  Over the years, the band expanded their repertoire from jazz to big band and rock.  Continue reading

NASCAR and Elon

Katie Nash
June 15, 2012

You’re probably wondering what NASCAR and Elon have to do with each other. It all started during a winter term session in January of 1994 when “The Business of NASCAR” class was first offered, taught by Dr. Janie Brown. This course was initially offered through the department of Health, Physical Education, Leisure/Sports Management. Since 2001, the course has been offered through the Love School of Business.  Continue reading