West Dorm as Summer Resort in 1909

Katie Nash May 21, 2014

West Dorm, early 1910s

West Dorm, early 1910s

As the campus prepares for commencement exercises on May 24, 2014, we can’t forget about all the history and interesting stories that have involved West Residence Hall since it opened on campus in the fall of 1906. As the campus community and guests enjoy the shade and cool breezes under the oaks and facing West Residence Hall during commencement, here’s an interesting story about West during the summer of 1909. Here’s to the beginning of summer!  Continue reading

The Loy Center ‘Spirit Rock’

Julia Mueller May 9, 2014

Bill Loy and Loy Center rock, circa 1997

Bill Loy and Loy Center rock, circa 1997

In 1997, the Elon College Greek Courts were renamed from the Greek Lodges to the Loy Center in honor of William (Bill) E. Loy, Jr. and in memory of his wife, Elizabeth Apple Loy ’47.  Two rocks were added to the neighborhood.  The first rock belonged to Mrs. Loy’s family, and was placed in the Greek circle.  A plaque commemorating the Loy family is attached to the rock.  This rock is not to be painted.  The second rock became known as the ‘spirit rock.’ Continue reading