Hats Off to Elon College’s First Homecoming King

Julia Mueller
November 6, 2013

King and Queen David Bynes and Holly Good, show their excitement of capturing their titles.

King and Queen David Bynes and Holly Good, show their excitement of capturing their titles.

In 1993, the first Homecoming King at Elon College was crowned.  David Bynes (Class of 1997), a Communications major, represented the Black Cultural Society.  Holly Good of Alpha Omicron Pi was crowned Homecoming Queen.  The nominees represented twenty organizations, and the theme of Homecoming was “Hats Off to Hollywood.”  Each nominee wrote a personal statement and was interviewed by a Student Government Association Homecoming committee.  This constituted 40% of the score.  Popular vote accounted for the remaining 60%.1993 was the first year community service was incorporated in Homecoming activities.  The philanthropy was AIDS Awareness and all proceeds were donated to Alamance Cares.  One of the Homecoming events included a blood drive competition, but this sparked considerable controversy.  The Homecoming King and Queen were expected to work with SGA throughout the next year on tasks in the community and with Elon College.

Homecoming1993

Elon Homecoming, 1993 at Burlington Memorial Stadium in Burlington, NC.

Festivities began the Thursday before Homecoming.  There was a skit in Whitley Auditorium, a Penny Drive, and voting for Homecoming Court ended.  On Friday, there was a bonfire, the Homecoming Dance, and an Impersonation Competition.  Homecoming kicked off with a parade on Saturday morning, and the football game started at 2 p.m.  The Homecoming King and Queen were announced during halftime.  The Elon football team defeated the Wingate Bulldogs 37-25.  The team ended the season with an overall record of 8-3 and a 5-2 conference record.

Homecoming Queens were crowned since 1951 at Elon College.  May Day was a celebration that began much earlier in 1921.  The pageant was hosted and choreographed by the women’s physical education classes.  May Day did not occur again until 1931 since dancing was discouraged.  From 1931 to World War II, May Day was revived and included the dance around the “May pole,” a picnic, a carnival, a formal dance and the crowning of a queen and king.  After the war in 1944, May Day resumed.  May Day was celebrated until 1964.  Jerry Drake (Class of 1963) was the last May Day King.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s