August 16, 2012
As both new and returning faculty begin to arrive on campus this week and next, we thought it would be fun to look back at the first group of faculty at Elon. Elon opened its doors on September 2, 1890 and the faculty that taught the first students at the college included: Rev. William S. Long, Rev. J.U. Newman, Rev. J.O. Atkinson, Emmett L. Moffitt, S.A. Holleman, and Miss Alberta Moring. Rev. William S. Long served as Elon’s President from 1889-1894 and also was a member of the faculty. While at Elon he was a professor of Biblical Instruction, Natural and Social Science.
Rev. John Urquhart Newman was a professor at Elon from 1890-1942. He taught a number of subjects including Higher Mathematics, Greek, German, and Biblical Languages and Literature.
Rev. James Oscar Atkinson was a professor of Latin and Greek, Mental and Moral Science, Philosophy, Political and Social Science, and a lecturer on Christian Missions. He taught at Elon from 1890-1940.
Emmett L. Moffitt was a member of the faculty from 1890-1911 and was a professor of English, Modern Languages, History, German, and Political Science. He also served as Elon’s President from 1905-1911.
S.A. Holleman was the Principal for the Academic Department and was a professor of Pure and Applied Mathematics from 1890-1902.
Miss Alberta “Berta” Moring was a member of the Elon faculty from 1890-1900. She taught Painting and Drawing, Music, and was the Principal for the Art Department.
You can view photographs of William S. Long and Emmett L. Moffitt by following this link.