The Story of Carlton Library

September 13, 2013
Randall Bowman

Carlton Building after 1923.

Carlton Building after 1923.

Housed on the second floor of Elon College’s original Main Building was a one-room library and reading room, the first library on campus. The infamous fire on January 18, 1923, destroyed this room, along with most of the college’s library collection. But more than just books were lost that day; irreplaceable records of both Elon College and the Christian Church of the South, Elon’s parent denomination, were lost. A free-standing library was among the five new buildings planned to replace Main Building. The Carlton family of Richmond, Virginia, donated the funds to build the new library. On June 22, 1923, less than six months after the fire, ground was broken for the new library, which would be located next to Whitley Auditorium.

Continue reading

Leave a comment

Filed under Academics, Campus buildings

The story of the Martin Alumni Center (MAC)

Katie Nash
August 27, 2013

Ever wonder about the history of the white house on the corner of Haggard Avenue and O’Kelly Avenue on Elon’s campus? It’s one of the few older houses still standing on Elon’s campus, and to trace its history we have to travel back in time to 1965. Records show that in October 1965, a gift agreement was set-up between Algier Lloyd Rich, his wife Minnie Allene Patton Rich (Class of 1911), and Elon College in which the Rich family gave their home and land (which included a barn!) to the College, while still able to live in their home and maintain lifetime rights. The house was built between 1938-1940 and upon the death of Mr. Rich in 1986 and Mrs. Rich in 1987 the house became officially part of the Elon College campus. Continue reading

Leave a comment

Filed under Alumni, Campus buildings, General Elon History, Town history

Historic Elon video now online!

August 9, 2013
Story written by: Taylor Sharp ’16
Please note that this story first appeared on Elon University’s E-Net website.

Elon’s archive of historic video recordings is being digitized and made available online through a special project of the Elon University Archives and Special Collections in Belk Library. The first set of recordings is available through the archives website at: http://elonuniversity.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p16128coll4

Work began on digitizing the video files in late 2012. There are currently more than 4,000 audio and video recordings in the archives, including on-campus performances, lectures, Elon annual events and a walking tour of campus by President Emeritus J. Earl Danieley.

Linda Lashendock, video archive technologist, and Katie Nash, archivist and special collections librarian, developed the procedures, policies and workflow for digitizing the collection. The first files selected for conversion include concerts by the Emanons musical group, the annual Faculty/Staff Awards Luncheons beginning with 1986, and recordings of President Danieley’s winter term course, “Elon: Past, Present, and Future.” Additional content will be added to the collection regularly.

“We really think this will be an excellent resource for everyone,” Nash says. “Students can use it for research, alumni can look back at videos recorded while they attended Elon, and people outside of the Elon community can benefit from it as well.”

According to Lashendock, the useful life of a VHS videotape is about 15 years. After that, the tape begins to deteriorate, and audio and video can become unusable. Converting the content to digital format not only makes it more widely accessible, but also preserves the recording that otherwise would have been lost.

The digital collection can be found online by visiting http://www.elon.edu/archives, selecting “Digital Collections” and then selecting “Audio and Video Collection.”

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Elon’s First Radio Station

Julia Mueller
May 3, 2013

1964 Radio Team

1964 Radio Team

  The concept of the radio was developed in the late 1800s, where electricity allowed wireless communication.  Elon College offered its first class about this new invention in 1922, which was described as experimental in nature.  The class was taught in conjunction with electricity, and students focused on the practical and theoretical operation of the radio.

Continue reading

Leave a comment

Filed under Academics, Student organizations

Isabella Cannon’s Bust: Stolen then Found

Julia Mueller
April 12, 2013

Isabella Cannon in 1978Isabella Walton Cannon was a beloved Elon alumnus, Class of 1924, who served as a role model to many.  She became involved in public service and worked around the world.  In 1977, Cannon made the last minute decision to run for mayor of Raleigh, North Carolina against the incumbent Jyles J. Coggins, and won with 52% of the vote.  This caused Cannon to become an immediate national celebrity as she was the first female mayor of Raleigh.  Cannon continued to serve the community after her term and founded the Isabella Cannon Leadership Program at Elon in 1989.  The same year, on Thursday, October 19, the Isabella Cannon bust was stolen from its wooden pedestal in the Isabella Cannon room in the Center for the Arts building. Continue reading

Leave a comment

Filed under Alumni, Campus buildings, Campus Spaces

Women’s History Month: Women’s Athletics at Elon in the 2000s

Julia Mueller
March 29, 2013

2010 SoCon Softball Champions

2010 SoCon Softball Champions

On May 14, 2010, the Elon women’s softball team, coached by Patti Raduenz and seeded number two, defeated the number four seed UNC-Greensboro Spartans in the Southern Conference Championship.  Prior to playing UNC-G, the Phoenix defeated UT–Chattanooga Mocs, which was the number one seed in the SoCon tournament.  This was the first time in the season that the Mocs lost.  The championship was a first for Elon as well–it was the first time an Elon women’s sports team won a conference tournament title since joining the Southern Conference in 2003.  This was also the first tournament title for Elon women’s athletics since the soccer team brought home the Big South tournament title in 1999.   Continue reading

Leave a comment

Filed under Athletics, Student Life

Women’s History Month: Women’s Athletics at Elon in the 1980s-1990s

Julia Mueller
March 22, 2013

The 1999-2000 women's soccer team.

The 1999-2000 women’s soccer team.

The 1980s and 1990s at Elon was a time of great transition as the college sought to gain public recognition.  The student body profile, in addition to the alumni and faculty, was changing in that Elon became more engaged in academics, networking, and athletics.  This in part was due to the “Plan of the 90’s” that worked to increase the quality of Elon and develop programs.  In 1991, the South Atlantic Conference moved to NCAA Division II from the NAIA.  However, the Division II was considered “No Man’s Land,” and on June 17, 1996, Elon officials decided it was time to go to Division I in the NCAA.  Elon participated without conference affiliation for the first two years before joining the Big South Conference in 1999.

Most of the Elon sports teams struggled in Division I due to the increased competition, but in 1999, women’s soccer prevailed.  Coached by Paul Webster, the women were the third seed in the championship and defeated Liberty University in overtime.  The team won the Big South Tournament Championship, becoming the first program at Elon to go to a Division I NCAA postseason tournament.  According to the Magazine of Elon Winter 2000 issue, “junior midfielder Erin Morse earned first-team All Big South Conference honors and was named to the league’s All Academic Team.  Four Elon players were named to the All Conference second team, including junior sweeper Patricia Clark, sophomore midfielder MacKenzie Sisson, sophomore defender Erin Lautermilch and junior goalkeeper Sommer Cork.” Continue reading

Leave a comment

Filed under Athletics, Student organizations