Katie Nash June 27, 2014
Mooney building and storm damage, June 1989
As thunderstorms pass through Alamance County and the Elon area this summer, let’s take a look back at a fierce storm that damaged a large part of campus in June of 1989. Around 7:15pm on June 16, 1989 a tornado-like storm touched down on Elon’s campus, causing havoc and damage to the grounds and buildings. There was over $150,000 worth in damages, power outages, and numerous trees were uprooted. The summer of 1989 had already included a lot of rain fall, and in June the Elon area experienced numerous tornado warnings and watches. The tornado-like storm that struck campus came without much warning and lasted for about 15 minutes, with about 50-70 mile per hour wind gusts. Continue reading
Katie Nash May 21, 2014
West Dorm, early 1910s
As the campus prepares for commencement exercises on May 24, 2014, we can’t forget about all the history and interesting stories that have involved West Residence Hall since it opened on campus in the fall of 1906. As the campus community and guests enjoy the shade and cool breezes under the oaks and facing West Residence Hall during commencement, here’s an interesting story about West during the summer of 1909. Here’s to the beginning of summer! Continue reading
Julia Mueller May 9, 2014
Bill Loy and Loy Center rock, circa 1997
In 1997, the Elon College Greek Courts were renamed from the Greek Lodges to the Loy Center in honor of William (Bill) E. Loy, Jr. and in memory of his wife, Elizabeth Apple Loy ’47. Two rocks were added to the neighborhood. The first rock belonged to Mrs. Loy’s family, and was placed in the Greek circle. A plaque commemorating the Loy family is attached to the rock. This rock is not to be painted. The second rock became known as the ‘spirit rock.’ Continue reading
April 25, 2014
The Elon University Archives and Special Collections is happy to announce that pages from a rare 18th century chant book in their collections is now available online. Scans of the original pages along with the Latin and English translations for each page can be seen and searched on this page . The chant book, also known as the manuscript missal, was donated to the Archives and Special Collections in 2003 by Elon alum Royall Spence, Jr. It was created sometime in the mid-late 1700s, with parts of it possibly created in the early 1800s. A complete description of the book can be found on the website listed above. Many thanks to Etherington Conservation Services for digitizing the entire book, and a big thanks to our two Latin/English translators!
April 18, 2014
Analog rack and computer workstation where the digitizing magic happens.
Forty years ago people were video recording movies, television shows, celebrations, and events (political & current) on film or via analog tape (VHS, Beta, U-Matic, etc.). Today, people are using state-of-the-art video cameras such as professional digital cameras, iPads, and smartphones to capture video content. With these technologies it becomes vital to preserve both analog and born digital video content. However, as of now there are NO effective national best practices for video format preservation. In other words, if these video formats are not being preserved in a Digital Asset Management System (D.A.M.S.) solution, media chaos occurs in the future. According to the Association of Moving Images Archivists (AMIA) it is predicted that video national best practices for digitizing, compressing video files, and attaching metadata to the video files will be established within 25 years by 2039. Even though there are no best D.A.M.S. solutions, there are many vendors who are selling digital asset management solutions for huge sums of money which may or may not be sustainable in the future. Is there an innovative and economical way to create a D.A.M.S. solution for the video content by digitizing, creating uncompressed and compressed video files and attaching metadata to video files until there are best practices? YES! Continue reading
April 11, 2014
Special Olympics, 1995
Elon and the Special Olympics have always had a special bond. Elon College hosted the first state Games in 1972, just four years after the first national Special Olympics Games were held in 1968 at Soldier Field in Chicago. Over the years, Elon has supplied thousands of volunteers, from those who plan the event to those who partner with an athlete for the day to all those who sit in the stands to cheer them on. Each athlete is a winner and each receives a medal on the day they compete. Continue reading
March 28, 2014
The late 1960s were a time of turmoil on college campuses, and Elon was no exception. Serious issues such as the Civil Rights movement and the Vietnam War polarized public opinion in the United States. Rock and roll, “hippies” with long hair, and women’s changing roles were exciting new trends or the end of civilization, depending on your point of view.
Elon had possessed a student newspaper since its earliest days. The Maroon and Gold was founded in 1919 to replace the defunct Elon College Weekly. Though initially independent, by the 1960s the paper was financially supported by the college and produced by a for-credit journalism class. Distrust of the college administration and concerns about censorship prompted a group of students in the Student Government Association to found a “liberated” newspaper. They called it Veritas, meaning truth.